Chris graduated from the University of Missouri-Kansas City with an undergraduate degree in Political Science and graduated from the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law.
Chris is a lifelong area resident. Chris has represented persons injured by the negligence of others including automobile accidents, workers compensation claims. Chris also has extensive experience with matters persons suffering from trauma caused by childhood sexual abuse from educational institutions and other entities trusted with the care of children.
Chris has a broad background in criminal and civil law with an emphasis on education-related legal issues. He has represented the Hickman Mills C-1 School District since 1990 and has been General Counsel to the district since 1995. Chris was also a founding member of the Board of Directors of the Hickman Mills Educational Foundation, serving until 2011.
Chris previously represented the Kansas City, Mo., School District and also represents students, parents and guardians for school-related matters across the metropolitan area.
Chris also represents persons charged with a wide variety of criminal and traffic matters in the State of Missouri including Clay, Jackson, Platte and Cass counties. He also handles personal injury and employment discrimination matters.
Chris is a member of the Missouri Bar and is admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri. Chris is a member of the Missouri Bar’s Education Law Committee. He is a member of the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association and is a former Vice-Chairman of the KCMBA Education Law Committee. He is a member of the National and Missouri Councils of School Attorneys.
Chris is active in the community. He is a founding member of the Board of Directors of the Hickman Mills Educational Foundation.
- Serve as General Counsel to Hickman Mills C-1 School District in Missouri. Related responsibilities include:
- Attend and provide counsel to the Board and administration at all board meetings, board committee meetings and certain executive leadership team meetings, as requested.
- Provide written legal opinions regarding proposed policies or practices of school district, including such matters as searching student vehicles and drug testing of employees.
- Work with school district human resources to advise administration on employment, employee discipline, seniority, tenure and other personnel matters.
- Manage and advise the Board and administration on pending and threatened litigation.
- Provide timely notification to the Board and administration of changes to federal and Missouri case law, statutes and regulations affecting the school district.
- Review all contracts with vendors, including review of bid requirements, specifications and compliance.
- Represent the Board in matters involving other governmental entities, such as the City of Kansas City (Kansas City TIF Commission and Board of Election Commissioners) and Jackson County (Board of Equalization, County Collector and Board of Election Commissioners).
- Provide counsel to the Board and administration on matters related to
- regular education students, including discipline and adherence to policies and directives.
- Review legal notices, resolutions, agendas and matters of district governance.
- Representation of the Kansas City Missouri School District in educational law matters.